best size whopper plopper for smallmouthbest size whopper plopper for smallmouth

gosport council tip booking / what happened to skip and shannon this week  / best size whopper plopper for smallmouth

best size whopper plopper for smallmouth

Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below. If you're serious about having a topwater bait for all seasons of the year, the Bluegill Whopper Plopper is a great addition to your tackle collection. For smallmouths, though, I cover water as I would with a spinnerbait. It will call deepwater smallmouths and spotted bass in gin-clear water, and also aggravate lazy stump-bound largemouths just the same. The MOST Overlooked Walleye Presentation!! They come in a total of: There is also a saltwater version. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'thebassfishinglife_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_4',151,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thebassfishinglife_com-medrectangle-4-0');The waters I fish, with plenty of minnows and sunfish, see lots of action from the size 75, 90, and the 110 on windy days. This color is also a perfect follow-up bait that you can leave tied onto a separate rod while fishing. The trebles hanging below a Whopper Plopper are more likely to get hung on leaves, floating vegetation, or other foliage on the surface. Understanding the characteristics and benefits of each size Whopper Plopper will help you make critical on-the-water decisions that will bring more fish to the boat. One of the best aspects of River2Seas Whopper Plopper is that just about anyone who can cast semi-accurately will be able to catch bass on it. I usually get the color they have in stock of which I'm currently using Monkey Butt. On flat-calm days, when bass feed on small baitfish, I use transparent baits. He has hosted a nationally aired television show, written over 800 published articles, hit the road as a sales rep, worked outdoors retail, and has helped to develop new lures. Best two sizes for me (by far) for both LMB and SMB are the Whopper Plopper 75 (fishes "bigger" than the WP 90 IMO) and the Choppo 105. A downward snap pulls the bait, creating forward momentum. Feathers wrapped and glued on the tail hook another must. It has features to stir up a ruckus a rear prop, sloped face and notches on the sides to create extra splashing, plus a rattle. What is the Best Size of Whopper Plopper for Bass? With three treble hooks, fish are readily hooked. If you take our advice on this one, you're sure to catch a ton of fish on your next fishing trip. Fish topwater lures in low-light conditions and at night. Specifically, the two most important factors are the wind levels and the baitfish size. The Plopper also does not do particularly well when bass demand long pauses. HIGH QUALITY HOOK: 2 super-sharp hooks, excellent puncture ability, especially important for scholing striper and . But that's not the case, says Balog. Smallmouth Bass are known to prefer smaller profile baits, especially in the fall when they feed on juvenile baitfish such as shad. That's when the fun begins. Everything needs to stay clean if you want to maximize your efficiency and your bites. Doug Stange talks about the seasonal movements of largemouth bass and techniques that work well from North to South. 10 Best Size Whopper Plopper For Smallmouth Reviews 01 River2Sea Whopper Plopper 75 Blue Blood WPL75/08 Topwater Surface Bait Lure. How to CLEAN Cork Handles on Your FISHING RODS, Top 5 Old-School Lures that Still Crush Bass, Vandam's All Time Texas Bass Fishing Favorites, The Seiche Effect: How Wind-Driven Current Affects Fishing. Use tab to navigate through the menu items. The tail spins faster than the 130 and 190 creating more frequent vibrations, but the sounds are far quieter. A Whopper Plopper is effective just chugging along or being burned. When attempting to match minnows I will stick with the grays, silvers, and whites. Receive Premium Angler Content, 100% Free of Charge. So, what's the best size Whopper Plopper then? Because of its aerodynamic shapeand comparatively heavy weight-to-size ratioit can be cast a long way on appropriate tackle, even in a headwind or crosswind, situations in which the distinctive noise excels. I also was . While there are many conditions where either topwater will work, there are a few critical situations where I will pull out one over the other. Best Seller River2Sea Whopper Plopper $16.99 - $20.99 6 Colors River2Sea Opening Bell Buzzbait $12.99 11 Colors River2Sea Bubble Popper $9.99 - $10.99 11 Colors River2Sea Bubble Walker $9.99 - $12.99 15 Colors River2Sea Bully Wa 2 Frog $10.99 7 Colors River2Sea Chris Lane Big Mistake $16.99 10 Colors River2Sea Chris Lane Lane Changer $12.99 At this point the River2Sea Whopper Plopper is no longer a secret, and bass on your local lake or river may have seen it, but that doesnt mean its not an effective tool. - YouTube Whopper Plopper Smallie Action! When fish have better visibility, they're often better at discerning between real and fake presentations. 1 38 Super Fan Members 814 1 Location SE KY My PB: Between 8-9 lbs Favorite Bass: Smallmouth Favorite Lake or River Norris, Laurel, and Cumberland Lake For river smallies, the Powder White 90 is the, If you're serious about having a topwater bait for all seasons of the year, the, Every angler should have a red topwater bait in their tackle box. They also had buzzbaits upon which a blade rotated on a wire. Summer smallmouths are generally attracted by fast-moving baits and water disturbance so increase the tempo during the warm-water period. . If the water is calm, start with the size 75 or 90. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'thebassfishinglife_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_9',138,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-thebassfishinglife_com-medrectangle-3-0');These two models create the perfect amount of surface ripple in slick conditions. For the 130, a 7 foot heavy rod or medium swimbait setup will work fine, spooled with 50 pound braid or 20 pound mono. It's an awesome story of one of the finest swimbaits you'll find anywhere. Bass actively hunt Steve Rogers has worked over two decades in every facet of the outdoors industry. Length: 3 inches (75mm) Weight: 9/16 ounce Hooks: #4 Rattle: No Whopper Plopper 90 If you have been working the visible cover and then come to a long tapering point, be sure to work the lure the full length of the point. For example, on one recent outing, I was bringing the lure back where it was making the most noise a great starting retrieve. The Whopper PLopper 110 When fishing pressure causes bass to ignore the 130 I downscale to the 110 version to tempt the fish into biting again. Upload or insert images from URL. Water depth doesn't much matter. If you see lots of anglers throwing a Whopper Plopper on a nice summer evening, then a buzzbait will likely be the lure of choice since it is not quite as popular at the moment. It's not a versatile bait for all situations, but it can be extremely effective in some cases. It wasnt fast and furious, but at a time when the bite was relatively tough this lure outfished them all, with a constant stream of 4- to 8-pound suicide bombers attacking it seemingly from out of nowhere. Can't go wrong with Bone and maybe a green like Chubby. This panel of anglers agrees that walking baits are best for smallmouths. Bearcat89 Participant North branch, mn Posts: 11795 June 27, 2020 at 8:48 pm #1953107 I use whopper poppers often. Almost always throw 130s i have multiples in loon and bone color. The majority of the time Watson is fishing the 130 size. Bone and Loon are my choice as well. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[320,50],'tiltfishing_com-box-4','ezslot_5',109,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tiltfishing_com-box-4-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[320,50],'tiltfishing_com-box-4','ezslot_6',109,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tiltfishing_com-box-4-0_1'); .box-4-multi-109{border:none !important;display:block !important;float:none !important;line-height:0px;margin-bottom:7px !important;margin-left:auto !important;margin-right:auto !important;margin-top:7px !important;max-width:100% !important;min-height:50px;padding:0;text-align:center !important;}. Our team is composed of passionate anglers who specialize in researching and recommending the best bass fishing tackle and equipment on the market. Because he called Minnesota home, Dahlberg was well-versed in musky jargon and tackle and brought the lure to the River2Sea tackle company. If you havent had a chance to throw this lure yet, then I would highly recommend giving this bait a try the next time you are craving that topwater bite.if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'tiltfishing_com-mobile-leaderboard-1','ezslot_23',117,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tiltfishing_com-mobile-leaderboard-1-0'); When Im fishing areas that have grass or heavy cover, my favorite topwater option is the buzz bait. redemptionoutdoors.com, River2Sea Whopper Plopper "I didn't set out to make a smallmouth bait," says designer Larry Dahlberg. In-Fisherman's Thomas Allen fishes with pro walleye angler Ross Grothe as they target aggressive walleyes in shallow, weedy water. ", "Color plays a key role," Lefebre agrees. Wes Littlefield. As topwater fishing has gained popularity, the River2Sea Whopper Plopper has become a household name. It takes some of the best attributes of a cigar-shaped topwater and a buzzbait and combines them into an easy-to-fish combination. Yes, things have advanced and new techniques have been introduced, but understanding where new presentations came from will help you make the right selection the next time things get tough. Nor may it be copied, published, rewritten, or redistributed. When anglers think about the topwater Whopper Plopper bait, they think about the sound the lure makes. While originally designed for bigger fish species, muskie anglers found out they were exceptional for bass. Clear editor. You can catch them on top in certain southeastern reservoirs, but the best bites occur on northern waters with larger populations and clearer water. TRUE VISUAL EXPERIENCE: Perfect size and awesome color gives you a real visual experience. Continue with Recommended Cookies. Most anglers work a walker with rod tip close to the water's surface. The bait's twirling tail does all the work for you making it super beginner-friendly. Its battle tested and flat out catches both monster large and smallmouth bass. abtlures.com, AR Popper 55 "Our topwater baits are made from basswood and feature exceptional lifelike finishes," says Chip Servant of AR Lures U.S. "The new Popper 55 pops, spits water, and walks." It can even catch fish in big lakes if it's fished along the grass line close to shore. Loon, Powder, and Phantom Shad. The blades on this bait creates a loud clatter that will annoy any nearby bass so much that theyll have to smack it. As noted above, River2Sea has a wide range of color choices, including patterns that clearly mimic perch, bluegills, and trout. While other sizes may be better for different situations, this is the true bass fishing Whopper Plopper. The size 130 has worked for me on windy days and the size 190 gets tied on if the bass lurking in the water have true potential as giants. Subscriber Services. Listen, the Jitterbug has been flying under the radar recently with all of the other new popular topwater lures. In-Fisherman Editor in Chief Doug Stange talks about one of the finest and longest standing hooks on the market, unique and classic rigging options and hook removal techniques. The River2Sea Whopper Plopper 130 size is great for bass fishing. Sizes: 1/8, 3/16, 5/16, , and 7/8 oz. This may occur in October on the Great Lakes and a month or two later in Tennessee. In clean water the color choice has a more noticeable impact on the quality and amount of bites an angler gets. It takes practice. If you are fishing topwater for smallmouth bass than the Whopper Plopper is a must have. ", Evers: "I favor braided line. In this situation, don't pause the lure keep it moving; speeding the retrieve challenges fish to run it down. Smallmouths are so competitive, they often hit the feather, apparently thinking they're taking a minnow away from another fish. Aaron Warner is an avid angler with over 15 years of experience. A Whopper Plopper will get the nod if I want to fish quicker or if the wind is strong. It sounds similar to the Whopper Plopper 130 while being shorter and wider. ", Duckworth: "Super-sharp hooks are a must. You may even see him in your area. The Whopper Plopper comes in a variety of 8 colors, and even if the from smaller forage minnow and shad sizes to giant 8-inch versions intended for musky and pike, if the large version seems too like it would be too much, think again, as they have caught some absolutely monstrous bass as well. ", "For smallmouths, I rely solely on walking-style baits," says Balog. Slowing it (longer pauses between downward snaps) allows the plug to glide or slide gently in a wider arc. A River2Sea Whopper Plopper, Berkley Choppo or similar style bait is my favorite topwater for river bronze . Muddy lakes with low visibility are ideal when water and air temperatures drop. We may earn from qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you. This is critical. The size of the bass is also crucial. Buzzbaits also offer anglers the opportunity to add plastic trailers that can entice wary bass to bite. He has participated and won fishing tournaments all over the country and enjoys fishing for bass, trout, walleye and other species. Loon, Powder, and Phantom Shad. Ive learned over the years that selecting the right topwater lure when targeting smallmouth bass is absolutely critical. When casting, target grass edges as bigger Largemouth Bass are likely waiting to ambush floating prey. At Tilt Fishing we do that by creating articles, videos, and helpful content that is dedicated to helping you improve as an angler and in turn enhance your fishing experience in the great outdoors. They both generate substantial noise on even a slow, steady retrieve, but one with small glass beads inside makes even more of a commotion. Whether bass are feeding on bluegill, bugs, baitfish, or birds, this bait gets bit. If you frequently switch between bass fishing and muskie or pike fishing, the 190 is the most versatile size. There may be a big boulder or hump sitting in deep water. The other groups of fishermen who use the Whopper Plopper 90 are kayakers, floaters, and stream waders. In a stronger wind, the two largest versions get top billing. And it's already in very high demand. The 110 more of a fluttering action and less of the loud thumping action we're all accustomed to. Last Update: March 24 2023 13PM Are you looking for the Best Size Whopper Plopper For Smallmouth. The red and black combination is a deadly bass fishing pattern. Toss it and bring it back from multiple angles searching for where the bass are holding. It offers an iconic walk-the-dog action that has proven to catch not only a ton of fish, but it catches bigger fish as well. on a windy day, opt for a 110 size or larger. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[300,250],'tiltfishing_com-leader-4','ezslot_22',116,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tiltfishing_com-leader-4-0'); This bait is especially known for being a great night-time topwater lure, but also works great during the day as well. Overall, the dark profile it has on the surface of the water is super realistic. Smallies may be aggressively guarding pods of fry, but too much commotion spooks these shallow fish. All In-Fisherman subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. A properly constructed walker slides either left or right when given slack. Color does matter. While it can catch fish year-round in every body of water across the country, there are some situations where it performs better. BassTackleLures.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Thank you for your support! This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. The Whopper Plopper comes in a 90, 130 and 190 size and is available in both rattling and silent versions. The River2Sea Whopper Plopper burst onto the international fishing scene less than a decade ago, and suddenly, bass addicts everywhere were unable to put it down. For the price the Rebel Pop-R is tough to beat. Fortunately, if you do go to such lengths, its rare to lose oneyou tend to use heavy line and they floatso the investment is unlikely to be squandered. For fly fishing, 9 to 10 foot rods in the 6 to 8 wt range are best. They are all smallmouth topwater winners and will help you catch a ton of fish. Using only wrist and forearms, snap the rod tip towards the surface, and in a smooth continuous motion, return the rod tip to the start position. The tail's distinct thumping action is what sets this bait apart from the dozens of other topwater lures on the market. jackall-lures.com, Rapala X-Rap Pop "This 2-inch popper has a slender profile, which allows it to walk like a Chug Bug," says pro staffer Joe Balog. For river smallies, the Powder White 90 is the best size Whopper Plopper. If you are like most anglers you probably have a fishing reel that has had the same line on it for a few years now. If you frequently switch between bass fishing and muskie or pike fishing, the 190 is the most versatile size. Replacing the silicone skirt with a tube body lets you cast it far on braided line to cover water. At first, it seems like it's too small to be a great topwater lure for bass. The Rover is an absolute fun topwater lure to fish. link to How Often Should You Change Fishing Line? Just be sure not to change the overall balance of the lure. The PopMax has a lateral weight system where the weight moves right to left allowing the bait to move back and forth creating a unique walking action. Many anglers think that you need a ton of colors to be a great bass fisherman, but this is not true. There is nothing quite like it. But based on time of year or mood of the fish, sometimes it's a popper, prop bait, or buzzer. I got a chance to pre-fish before it's release date same exact thing. Heddon Rattling Sonar (Best Blade Bait) Conclusion Best Smallmouth Bass Lures As the name suggests, the lures spinning section produced a continuous plopping noise that aggravated bass to strike like Amazonian peacock bass or vicious tropical tuna. On the hottest summer days, I also fish a buzzbait. September 8, 2017 in Fishing Tackle, I'm going to Hoover Reservoir tomorrow morning to fish with a friend and I wanted to grab a couple wp90s. You can post now and register later. When observing bass in their natural environment it is clear that they pursue their food sources. The PopMax has a lateral weight system where the weight moves right to left allowing the bait to move back and forth creating a unique walking action. Smallmouths can be picky about what they want often a walking bait. Consider 2X or 4X models if youre fishing for toothy critters or using heavy braid, as otherwise they may bend out. ", According to Duckworth, "Poppers generally produce smaller bronzebacks. Bass anglers had cigar-shaped walk-the-dog topwaters like the Zara Spook and its descendants. . A 9ft 5wt may work well on the smaller rivers across Virginia but you will want a heavier rod on our larger rivers. 9 Best Smallmouth Bass Lures For This Season. I slowed the bait down to a methodical gurgle and the bite drastically improved. "Over the years, a lot of misinformation has been passed around. Smallmouth Bass are known to prefer smaller profile baits, especially in the fall when they feed on juvenile baitfish such as shad. This makes it a great time to throw the Bluegill Whopper Plopper. ", Anglers often wonder what difference color on the sides and back of a topwater makes, as they assume bass only see the lure's belly. Its an all-around solid popper that will help you catch a ton of fish. But, the Whopper Plopper is definitely the most exciting, and often the most effective way for getting even sluggish fish to attack. Known as one of the finest gator gar fisheries on the planet, the In-Fisherman Staff heads to the Trinity River in East Texas seeking this large toothy critter. Every angler should have a red topwater bait in their tackle box. ", Dave Lefebre, FLW pro from Pennsylvania adds, "You can tie on any surface plug, pop it around shallow cover, and likely get a strike from a largemouth. River2Sea Whopper Plopper 190. Having the right topwater lures tied on can give you a huge advantage, but there are also some important things you should keep when target smallmouth bass on the surface. The Megabass PopMax is a premium popper that will not only help you catch a ton of fish, but will also help you land some of the biggest smallmouth of the year. The largest size you should consider when bass fishing is the Whopper Plopper 190. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. Bass anglers have heard this term for decades and its just not correct. When bass are aggressively feeding on shad or bluegill, this bait can catch an absurd number of fish and make for a great day out on the water. It is also important to take into consideration what other anglers are throwing since bass will develop a memory from negative stimulus. The Best Fall Bass Lures for Offshore Structure: Rapala Jigging Rap Ice Jig. A buzzbait will also do a better job of working its way over weeds that are almost emergent. Few surface lures have the ability to pull bass up from deep water. Except for a few novelty items that ultimately proved unsuccessful or unpopular or both, however, the two never met in a single product. choosing the right topwater for the situation. I'd go with a Whopper Plopper 110 for topwater fishing whether I'm chasing smallies or largemouth. While other sizes may be better for different situations, this is the true bass fishing Whopper Plopper. While not as versatile, the Powder White Color Whopper Plopper is a necessity for smallmouth bass anglers. Throwing topwater lures for smallmouth best is one of my all-time favorite way to fish. For some reason, though, bass anglers hadnt widely adopted this style of lure, even if the musky hunters often inadvertently landed the biggest bass of the season on a given body of water. We have a selection of our favorites at the bottom of the page, or have a look at this one (our favorite). Florida strain bass have been known to prefer larger topwaters. You can mix up the action and colors by adding different trailers and the versatility is unbelievable. 110 size or more is ideal for . You are in the right place. When to Choose a Whopper Plopper Over a Buzzbait. In-Fisherman takes a quick trip through time to look back at some great fishing memories, fun tips and a lot of learning experiences. Making it a great option to give the bass a different look. Cast it out, reel it back, repeat. Bass that had never seen it before went absolutely ballistic, and while the novelty of the lure has dimmed slightly, its still a remarkably exciting way to get both tentative and aggressive fish to make a move. So what are the best topwater lures for smallmouth bass? To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. Summer: Balog notes that in some waters, such as Michigan's Lake St. Clair, and New York's Oneida and Chautauqua lakes, smallmouths may remain shallow throughout summer. Be safe and make sure to encourage someone today. My suspicion was short-lived, as a 6-pound largemouth came up from beside a clump of water hyacinths and scared the living daylights out of me. While throwing this lure over the years, Ive been super impressed with its drawing power. These qualities allow it to perform extremely well in clearwater lakes and rivers. Our team is composed of passionate anglers who specialize in researching and recommending the best bass fishing tackle and equipment on the market. We'll dive right in and discuss the best Whopper Plopper colors that River2Sea offers. If you want the same exact thing as the Whopper Plopper except 1/2 to 2/3 the cost - check out the Choppo. It provides the same type of baitfish imitation as the Loon color in these situations. It will allow you to cover a lot of water and catch a lot of fish. Although I have seen other anglers have success with the bigger sizes as well. This is the story of the Berkley CullShad. Choosing a Whopper Plopper Based on the Wind. While you can steer the Whopper Plopper through obstacles and objects, it does have two sticky-sharp treble hooks, so its a nightmare in matted vegetation. The "plop" sound is great at getting the attention of Largemouth bass and Smallmouth bass and puts fish in the boat. ", "During summer, I fish walking baits and prop baits aggressively," Lefebre notes. It would be best if you also tried to closely match your lure size to the baitfish the bass are feeding on. Thats why the various black models are so popular, including Loon and Yellow Head, which as the name suggests has a bright yellow tip of the nose. I would highly recommend checking out the baits and lures we have covered in this article. Don't know if the original one floated or not. The popper is a great option when fishing for bass around tight cover or out in the open on clear water flats.if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[320,50],'tiltfishing_com-leader-1','ezslot_15',112,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tiltfishing_com-leader-1-0');if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[320,50],'tiltfishing_com-leader-1','ezslot_16',112,'0','1'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-tiltfishing_com-leader-1-0_1'); .leader-1-multi-112{border:none !important;display:block !important;float:none !important;line-height:0px;margin-bottom:7px !important;margin-left:auto !important;margin-right:auto !important;margin-top:7px !important;max-width:100% !important;min-height:50px;padding:0;text-align:center !important;}. Whether you are a seasoned angler or just starting out, understanding the importance of fishing leaders can greatly improve your success How Often Should You Change Fishing Line? Its body also rotates to the side so one eye dips below the surface on each pull." . arlures.com, Duck's Dawg "My surface walker is made from solid wood with no internal weight or rattles," says designer Jim Duckworth. You can't retrieve it too fast.".

St Andrew's Academy Paisley Address, Articles B