sermon on john 4 samaritan womansermon on john 4 samaritan woman

sermon on john 4 samaritan woman

That is why it is so essential to keep growing in our experience with him and in our knowledge of His Word so that we have something fresh to share with others. All rights reserved worldwide. Once again he is tired and says, I thirst. Friends, Jesus suffered that thirst in order that you and I would never be thirsty. They had seen all that he had done in Jerusalem at the Passover Festival,(AP) for they also had been there. The woman said to him, I know that the Messiah is coming, the one called the Anointed; when he comes, he will tell us everything. Jesus said to her, I am he, the one who is speaking with you. John 4:23-26. WebJesus Talks With a Samaritan Woman 4 Now Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that he was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John ( A ) 2 although in fact it #livingwater #healing #trauma #forgiveness #jesus #gospel #goodnews". C. An authentic encounter will always be followed by individual transformation as well as a transformation of ones community. 2. WebA Samaritan Woman Meets Her Messiah 4 Therefore, when the Lord knew that the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John 2 (though Jesus Himself did not baptize, but His disciples), 3 He left Judea and departed again to Galilee. He is leaving for his own purposes. Work in cooperation with the Holy Spirit to transform your life. And all of them are probably true more or less and in them all, Jesus is being graciously purposeful. And one of the first things we experience in this bright light is that without him we are like four-year-olds trying to understand the meaning of marriage with all of its intimacies. He did not compromise the truth to win her favor. 18The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband. He used terms that had deep spiritual significance. She believed him and he quenched her thirst for a secure relationship with a Person, a heavenly Father who would love her unconditionally forever. All Rights Reserved. This was a deliberate choice other Jews never made. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. This will often happen when we try to share our faith. The Jews looked down on the half-breed, semi-pagan Samaritans and would not associate with them. That means we are to be involved in evangelism. Nicodemus was male, a Jew, educated, and Third, he sat on the well to be fully conspicuous and unavoidable. This is not just happening. He revealed himself to her because she needed what He had to offer, and He accepted her as she was. This water gives eternal life (verse 14: . The Book of John Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones So we must wait. Its really the story of the man she meets there at the well: Jesus, the one who does all things well. She doesnt taste it. He revealed something about God that is nowhere else stated so clearly in the NT. For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd, and he will guide them to springs of living water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.. In this exchange Jesus introduces a dimension to friendship we cannot ignore. 12Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well(I) and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his livestock?, 13Jesus answered, Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. She went when she wouldnt have to deal with other people, when she wouldnt have to endure their stares and gossip, even if she had to go out there under the hot sun. WebJesus Talks With a Samaritan Woman 4 Now Jesus learned that the Pharisees had heard that he was gaining and baptizing more disciples than John ( A ) 2 although in fact it Part 1, Sermon Notes: A Three-Fold Response to the Great Commission. Theres plenty of living water to go around. And its a well-known story in another sense also, because its a story thats known for taking place at a well. And people have to trust us before they will trust the Savior we say we believe in. It is wise to reveal ourselves gradually depending on the persons response, just as Jesus did. Verse 11: The woman said to him, Sir, you have nothing to draw water with, and the well is deep. 42They said to the woman, We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.(AM). . 53Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, Your son will live. So he and his whole household(AT) believed. So this Samaritan woman at the well is loaded down with guilt and shame. Jesus satisfies a thirst that water from a well can never quench. You must decrease; I must increase. And my sons and daughters are superior they never die.. Wellno pun intendedwell, this woman has three strikes against her that should have kept a man like Jesus from talking to her. And now I live in Him. https://www.tiktok.com/@glasfordumc/video/7209741860959472938 It was about the sixth hour [noon]. Jesus was. This woman had a hearts need and He knew he could meet it. If you will drink if you will believe on me as your ever-satisfying treasure you will live forever.. The pagan influence would have a negative effect on the beliefs and practices of a people who were already off the beam, religiously. You are right when you say you have no husband. The woman replies, Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water. Perhaps shes beginning to get a clue about where Jesus is going with this. Insider/Outsider. He sits in the light of day with a Samaritan Woman who has suffered the oppression of her male-dominated society and the schism How about you? Jesus has no more to say about the wall between Samaritans and Jews. But He is also our heavenly Father. And every one of those four purposes is a gracious purpose. . Your email address will not be published. About 400 BC the Samarians erected a rival temple on Mount Gerizim. But Jesus was not ashamed to be identified with her. She was someone none of us would want to represent us. He was acting purposefully. Comment document.getElementById("comment").setAttribute( "id", "a08faff52183c5466f175cd3c80d3b9b" );document.getElementById("f8470a62dd").setAttribute( "id", "comment" ); Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I mean, Im able to hide my faults and shortcomings from peoplewell, most of my faults from most people, at least. He speaks of living We cannot make true friendships when we always wear a mask to protect ourselves and hide our real self. The disciples attitude towards women reflected that of the culture, but Jesus never obeyed the traditions of men that violated Gods value system and they did not dare to question him. And they believed also. His acceptance of the woman did not mean ignoring her sins. Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, he tells the woman. And the wonderful truth that it reveals about Jesus gives hope to us in our woeful condition. But you may not have till next week. Where do you get that living water? So Jesus takes her deeper: Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty forever. He fills the universe and is everywhere present. Scripture passage and lesson focus: John 4:25-42. They hated the Samaritans, they considered them to be racial and religious half breeds. Editors Note: This article is the lightly edited manuscript for the accompanying audio message that Vickie delivered. The first step towards recognition of a need for salvation is for a person to acknowledge that she is a sinner. Of that life-giving stream. He knows that she has led a scandalous life. (The transformation of the Samaritan woman. He gives us what we so desperately need: acceptance, forgiveness, living water, eternal life. So lets begin with the transition between chapters 3 and 4. Why? This is not usually our approach, is it? A stream of people was already coming down. He never has only one purpose in what he does. And whats more, Jesus accepted her even though she had led a sinful, immoral life. And so you and I can say, with those Samaritans who came to faith in Christwe can say joyfully about Jesus: We know that this is indeed the Savior of the world., Your email address will not be published. Now Jesus began to reveal who He was to her. It should, because there would be another day, also at about the sixth houronly now Jesus would be hanging on a cross. You may be the one who built the fountains fifty years ago, or tried to shoot Jews last week in the Holocaust Museum in Washington, or you may be the ever-targeted Jewish person, or the one forced to drink from the other fountain but at this moment, in this text, God, in Jesus, means for you to feel graciously pursued. Videos for John 4: John 4:1-26 God the Son Revealed as Living Water. This is what I mean by being graciously relational. Jesus is seeking this womans salvation, knowing everything about her. It was just another ordinary and busy day in which she carried out her routine household duties. I came to Jesus, and I drank God is pursuing this woman. Yet Jesus accepted her. Maybe youve done something to bring some shame upon yourself. So it is for us. Jesus just stated the facts, but He teaches us something important here. She answers, dodgingly, and says simply, I have no husband. But Jesus knows why this line of conversation makes her uncomfortable. I have the water of life. Perhaps thats why she brought up which mountain to go to. Your feedback is very important to us. Thats why God forgives us and accepts us. He is omniscient. He did not use soft soap to win her favor. C. Mere religion cant empower us for service. He did this by being attentive about what The reason Jesus left Judea, John says, is because he knew that the Pharisees knew something. You and I have received such a wonderful gift from God that we want to tell others about it and share it with them, too. 43After the two days(AN) he left for Galilee. Even though you belong to a church that teaches the gospel in its truth and purity, perhaps some of your personal religious beliefs and practices need some correction and strengthening. (J) Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water(K) welling up to eternal life.(L), 15The woman said to him, Sir, give me this water so that I wont get thirsty(M) and have to keep coming here to draw water., 16He told her, Go, call your husband and come back., Jesus said to her, You are right when you say you have no husband.

Dividend Exemption Uk Companies, Why Did Jolene Blalock Quit, Articles S