why did jehoshaphat ally himself with ahabwhy did jehoshaphat ally himself with ahab

gosport council tip booking / what happened to skip and shannon this week  / why did jehoshaphat ally himself with ahab

why did jehoshaphat ally himself with ahab

Jehoram did evil in God's sight, but not to the extent that his father Ahab had, as he did put away his father's sacred pillar of Baal (verses 2-3). After all, the dangerous one he made almost got him killed. Jehoshaphat did so because he did not want to offend Ahab. And finally, Jehoshaphat slinks back to Jerusalem, humiliated by his bad decision. At first, the alliance worked, but Ahab drew Jehoshaphat into a war that was against God's will. Pingback: Joining Forces with Ahab - CRIES from among US! During most of Jehoshaphat's reign, Ahab was ruling Israel. 17:10). He certainly did not walk in Gods ways. 33 By chance, however, a Syrian soldier shot an arrow which struck King Ahab between the joints of his armor. By proceeding, you consent to our cookie usage. b. (2022, May 16). The world will not be a true partner to you. First of all, the king shows us that we all can make mistakes of judgment. He did have some kind of conscience. Because these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the website, refusing them will have impact how our site functions. Registered in England and Wales 5090917, Christian Today, International House, 24 Holborn Viaduct, London EC1A 2BN, God is on the move in the broken Anglican Communion, Church of England bishops urged 'to step back from the brink' on same-sex blessings, Lessons for today from the Salem Witch Trials. But their joint ventures would not prosper, since God does not generally bless such dealings (compare 2 Chronicles 20:35-37). He made a marriage alliance with Ahab 18:1. Ahab was penitent and humbled himself and so the Lord waited to fulfill the prophecy until Ahab's son reigned in his place. What agreement has the temple of God with idols? 2 Corinthians 6:14-16. Our Price: $5.99. We fully respect if you want to refuse cookies but to avoid asking you again and again kindly allow us to store a cookie for that. We begin with noting that there was 3 years without war between Syria and Israel. Also Jehoshaphat said to the king of Israel, Please inquire for the word of the LORD today. Then the king of Israel gathered the prophets together, four hundred men, and said to them, Shall we go to war against Ramoth Gilead, or shall I refrain? So they said, Go up, for God will deliver it into the kings hand. But Jehoshaphat said, Is there not still a prophet of the LORD here, that we may inquire of Him? So the king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, There is still one man by whom we may inquire of the LORD; but I hate him, because he never prophesies good concerning me, but always evil. But the one we want to focus on today reigns a little after the time of Solomon and David, long after the kingdom splits into two. c. Now a certain man drew a bow at random, and struck the king of Israel: This seemed to be pure chance. We will look at this briefly to set the stage. Romans 12:19-21, A true test of character: How you treat those weaker than you, Come to Jesus and find rest. How to Have Joy in Your Golden Years Despite These 10 Life 4 Things You May Not Know About Abraham in the Bible, 20 Facts You May Not Know About Moses from the Bible, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. His warnings are still the same today: How can two walk together unless they are agreed? Although Jehoshaphat didn't die from the friendship, he made a massive mistake by trusting the . No matter how powerful and persuasive the presentation, their message was unfaithful. These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our website is being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customize our website and application for you in order to enhance your experience. Obviously this was thanks to the help of Jehovah. These are all tokens of Gods blessing in this context. LICENSEE shall reproduce the following trademark and trademark notice on the copyright page of each copy of the Licensed Products: Read the surrounding text of 2 Chronicles 18:1-19:11. Jehoshaphat and Ahab cemented their relationship by arranging a marriage between Jehoshaphat's son, Jehoram, and Ahab and Jezebel's daughter, Athaliah. Then he said, I saw all Israel scattered on the mountains, as sheep that have no shepherd. Jehoshaphat then asked if there was not a prophet of the Lord to . He builds many forts and attempts to help the kingdom prosper in a financial sense. Zavada, Jack. Jehoshaphat goes forward with the plan. There was nothing righteous about Ahab. Ahab goes to war against Aram despite Micaiah's prediction. Ahab asked Micaiah whether they should go up to Ramoth 1) Jehoshaphat the faithful. 7-27) should have alerted Jehoshaphat to the true character of the man he had befriended. Romans 1-8: Word Biblical Commentary [WBC] Retail: $52.99. Ahab will dress like a common soldier and Jehoshaphat will wear the robes of a king into battle so that Ahab won't be attacked. Saying "no" at this point would look This city "was strategic in controlling the eastern caravan route" (Layman's Bible Book Commentary, Volume 6). He was a good king but with the weakness of wanting to be friends with Ahab. c. Who will persuade Ahab king of Israel to go up, that he may fall at Ramoth Gilead? Mindful of the fact that Judah was bordered by Moab, Ammon, and Israelall hostilehe knew he needed a strong and well-positioned military. The prophets' counsel did not sit well with Jehoshaphat, who then asked for another opinion. What you have done has brought the Lord's anger on you. All rights reserved. 1 When King Jehoshaphat of Judah became rich and famous, he arranged a marriage between a member of his family and the family of King Ahab of Israel. Since these providers may collect personal data like your IP address we allow you to block them here. We use cookies to let us know when you visit our websites, how you interact with us, to enrich your user experience, and to customize your relationship with our website. He ruled for 25 years. Jehoshaphat was the fourth king of the southern kingdom of Judah, the son of Asa, of the line of David. Not only was he faithful he was a reformer. Paul says about this, Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. We will see what we can learn from this. Due to security reasons we are not able to show or modify cookies from other domains. Of course you'll win. Ahab was a king of Israel, first mentioned in 1 Kings 16. But he himself has decreed that you will meet with disaster!, 23 Then the prophet Zedekiah went up to Micaiah, slapped his face, and asked, Since when did the Lord's spirit leave me and speak to you?. Lets begin by getting oriented. Micaiah was brought out from prison (1 Kings 22:26 indicates that he came from prison). battle. Will you go with me against Ramoth Gilead? Perhaps these were true followers of Yahweh who were seduced by Ahabs sincere but shallow repentance three years before (1 Kings 21:27-29). He not only considered it . Click on the different category headings to find out more. 16, 2022, learnreligions.com/jehoshaphat-king-of-judah-4114131. So the king of Israel and Jehoshaphat the king of Judah went up to Ramoth Gilead. Now when Jehoshaphat learned a great army has come against him ( 2 Chronicles 20:1-2 ), he immediately realized three things. He attempts to make peace with the northern kingdom of Israel but ends up getting tangled in some bad friendships along the way. a. I saw all Israel scattered on the mountains, as sheep that have no shepherd: Micaiah was challenged to tell the truth, and now he changed his tone from mocking to serious. Jehoshaphat in the Bible was the fourth king of Judah. After all it was 400 to 1! And the LORD said, These have no master. In general, Christians can't work effectively in close relationships with unbelieversin godly peace and harmonyany more than mismatched animals can make a useful plowing team for a farmer. This he construed into personal hatred. We have compiled these articles to help you study those whom God chose to set before us as examples in His Word. Stay up to date with the latest Christian news! 2 Chronicles 17:1. Then Ahab persuades Jehoshaphat to go into battle dressed in his royal robes, whilst Ahab disguises himself so he cannot be recognised in battle (vv. Fight with no one small or great, but only with the king of Israel: Ahabs previous mercy to Ben-Hadad (1 Kings 20:31-34) did not win any lasting favor with the rulers of Syria. Jehoshaphat believed prayer is a Rapid Response. 1992 American Bible Society. The King of Syria had instructed his men that the How? Considering Jehoshaphat lived for a long time, according to the standards of his day, this meant that God really wanted him to rule for a long period of time. q. He tried to persuade Jehoshaphat to join him in attacking the city of Ramoth in Gilead. In another time of crisis, Jehoshaphat's obedience to God saved the country. Jehu says, Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the Lord? 19:2. Though Jehoshaphat had already committed himself to the enterprise (2 Chronicles 18:3), and though he went on to disregard the guidance that was given him (2 Chronicles 18:28), he still retained the religion of Yahweh to the extent that he insisted on seeking the counsel of the Lord. (Payne). 41 Jehoshaphat son of Asa began to rule over Judah in the fourth year of King Ahab's reign in Israel. 2 A number of years later Jehoshaphat went to the city of Samaria to visit Ahab. Our website uses cookies to store user preferences. You can also change some of your preferences. Ahab and his wife, Queen Jezebel, had well-deserved reputations for wickedness. The king of Israel and Jehoshaphat king of Judah, clothed in their robes, sat each on his throne; and they sat at a threshing floor at the entrance of the gate of Samaria; and all the prophets prophesied before them. He walked in God's ways - "The Lord was with Jehoshaphat, because he walked in the earlier ways of his father David. Put this fellow in prison: King Ahab responded the way many tyrants do when they are confronted with the truth. The ruse fails, in the end. Jehoshaphat gave his son in marriage to Ahab's daughter. We will be with you in the war 2 Chronicles 18:3. 18:1 Jehoshaphat was very loaded and greatly respected. (Amos 3:3.) a. 4 Things You May Not Know About Abraham in the Bible 20 Facts You May Not Know About Moses from the Bible Who Was Mary Magdalene in the Bible? (He) sought the God of his father and walked in his commandments. The Lord will give you victory., 12 Meanwhile, the official who had gone to get Micaiah said to him, All the other prophets have prophesied success for the king, and you had better do the same., 13 But Micaiah answered, By the living Lord I will say what my God tells me to!, 14 When he appeared before King Ahab, the king asked him, Micaiah, should King Jehoshaphat and I go and attack Ramoth, or not?, Attack! Micaiah answered. God wanted to bring judgment against Ahab, so He asked this group of the host of heaven for a volunteer to lead Ahab into battle. He set up a group of priests and qualified people to go around, teaching the people from God's laws (see 2 Chronicles 17:7-9). 1 Kings 22:29 So the king of Israel and Jehoshaphat king of Judah went up against Ramoth-gilead. Yet on the other hand very few men did more than Jehoshaphat to bring the nation to the brink of ruin. He thought this would help protect him against Micaiahs prophecy of doom. 3 He asked, Will you go with me to attack Ramoth?, Jehoshaphat replied, I am ready when you are, and so is my army. 1 Chronicles 11:43:Hanan son of Maakah, Joshaphat the Mithnite.. 1. This strange incident can only be understood against the background of other Old Testament passages, especially Deuteronomy 13:11 and Ezekiel 14:1-11. both these passages speak of people being enticed by false prophets, in each case as a result of a link with idolatry. (Selman), Then Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah went near and struck Micaiah on the cheek, and said, Which way did the spirit from the LORD go from me to speak to you? And Micaiah said, Indeed you shall see on that day when you go into an inner chamber to hide! Then the king of Israel said, Take Micaiah, and return him to Amon the governor of the city and to Joash the kings son; and say, Thus says the king: Put this fellow in prison, and feed him with bread of affliction and water of affliction until I return in peace. But Micaiah said, If you ever return in peace, the LORD has not spoken by me. And he said, Take heed, all you people!. He makes a bad alliance by marrying his son to the wicked king of Israels daughter. Then Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah went near and struck Micaiah on the cheek: Zedekiah responded the way some do when they are defeated in an argument he responded with violence. . It is more difficult to explain why Jehoshaphat agreed to go into the battle as the only clearly identified king. His wife was Jezebel, the infamous queen. Jehoshaphats life was half over by the time he took the throne, but that didnt stop God from moving in his life. Ahab determined that he should take the city of Ramoth-Gilead back from the Syrians. . When his death became known the battle was over. i. Hope Bolingeris an acquisitions editor at End Game Press, and the author 21+ books. You are free to opt out any time or opt in for other cookies to get a better experience. (1 Chronicles 17: 1-6, 10) However, although he could have relied totally on God to protect him, Jehoshaphat allied himself with the evil king of Israel, Ahab. God orchestrated the unintended actions of man to result in an exercise of His judgment. You will remember him from the stories of Elijah. b. I will disguise myself and go into battle; but you put on your robes: Going into the battle, Ahab did not want to be identified as a king and therefore be a special target. Jehoshaphat, though a brilliant king, fell down in all three, not only allying himself with Ahab, but also with his two sons. 1 a After the death of Ahab, Moab b rebelled against Israel. b. Jehoshaphat established a very strong nation under him. Sunday (2 Chronicles 18-23) Jehoshaphat Allies with Ahab. 11 Amariah the High Priest will have final authority in all religious cases, and Zebadiah son of Ishmael, governor of Judah, will have final authority in all civil cases. Israel and Judah had not been on good terms with each other in the years following their divide. Jesus stays behind in the temple. Secondly, Jehoshaphat teaches us the importance of breaking the familial cycle of mistakes. You will succeed., 22 And Micaiah concluded: This is what has happened. Asa, his father, followed in the footsteps of God until the end of his reign. 28 Then King Ahab of Israel and King Jehoshaphat of Judah went to attack the city of Ramoth in Gilead. As James says, whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God James 4:4. But just in case, he disguises himself and also encourages Jehoshaphat to wear his royal attire, thus making him the target of the enemy. 3 But even so, there is some good in you. Unless you do, you and your fellow citizens will feel the force of the Lord's anger. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Three years later, Aram had failed to return the cities that Ben-hadad promised and so Ahab decides to go and take them for himself. 42 Jehoshaphat was thirty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem twenty-five years. Handling problems in Christian relationships, Letters to the Seven Churches in Revelation, Paul to the Thessalonians. So he said to the driver of his chariot, Turn around and take me out of the battle, for I am wounded. The battle increased that day, and the king of Israel propped himself up in his chariot facing the Syrians until evening; and about the time of sunset he died. He became one of the country's most successful rulers for one simple reason: He followed the commands of God. But how did he die, if God protected him in the war in which Ahab drew him into? God's hand was on Jehoshaphat and He blessed the kingdom of Judah under his reign. God set Judah's enemies upon each other, and by the time the Hebrews arrived, they saw only dead bodies on the ground. But he also received a word of judgment: Jehu says, Because of this, wrath has gone out against you from the Lord 19:2. We will join you. 4 Then he added, But first let's consult the Lord., 5 So Ahab called in the prophets, about four hundred of them, and asked them, Should I go and attack Ramoth, or not?, Attack it, they answered. and it begins well in chapter 17. . Who Is Jehoshaphat in the Bible? This article is part of our People from the Bible Series featuring the most well-known historical names and figures from Scripture. Ahab had wanted to restore back what materially belonged to them but spiritually he . Thats old? Indeed, in ancient times, life expectancies didnt really exceed much beyond the age of 50. He was rescued on the battlefield and was allowed to continue as king. So the king of Israel disguised himself, and they went into battle. a. This is the same word that I Chronicles 21:1 says about Satan enticing David to sin by means of the census. Or what fellowship has light with darkness? He walked in Gods ways The Lord was with Jehoshaphat, because he walked in the earlier ways of his father David. God does not want us to enter into binding partnerships with the wicked that could conflict with our commitment to Him and His ways. He prioritized the worship of Yahweh, the true God of Israel. During Jehoram's reign, Edom successfully revolted against Judah (2 Kings 8:20-22; 2 Chronicles 21:8-10). Be courageous and carry out these instructions, and may the Lord be on the side of the right!, Good News Translation (Todays English Version, Second Edition). In the process he killed both the reigning King of Israel, Joram, and the King of Judah, Ahaziah, at the same time. Jehoram did evil in God's sight, but not to the extent that his father Ahab had, as he did put away his father's sacred pillar of Baal (verses 2-3). I. Ahab's proposal (18:1-3) As Jehoshaphat celebrated a feast with the most ungodly king Israel would know, Ahab hits him with a request. Then the messenger who had gone to call Micaiah spoke to him, saying, Now listen, the words of the prophets with one accord encourage the king. The prayer was answered. 32 The chariot commanders saw that he was not the king of Israel, so they stopped pursuing him. It was certainly persuasive to have 400 prophets speak in agreement on one issue. God brought Judgement on Pharaoh by outright hardening his heart, so that God could multiply His miracles and signs throughout Egypt. Using traveling teachers, he educated the people on God's laws. He is Micaiah the son of Imla. Recognized as perhaps the best king that the southern kingdom of Judah ever had, King Jehoshaphat did right in the sight of God with his intense desire to pursue God in his leadership. This suggests that Jehoshaphat was a strong and effective leader, who worked hard to consolidate his power and improve Judah's position. It is possible that this was just a parable, but it is more likely that Micaiah had an accurate prophetic glimpse into the heavenly drama behind these events. A Chronological Daily Bible Study of the Old Testament 7-Day Sections with a Summary-Commentary, Discussion Questions, and a Practical Daily Application. Elijah had just confronted this Baal worship in the northern kingdom of Israel on Mt. But Jehoshaphat want to know if there is another prophet. At age 35, Jehoshaphat succeeded his father, Asa, who was the first good king over Judah. The name Jehoshaphat means means "Jehovah has judged," Yahweh judges, or Yahweh establishes the right.". Ahab wanted Micaiah imprisoned and deprived (feed him with bread of affliction and water of affliction). They told Ahab to go into battle because God would give him victory. Yet it should be noted, as mentioned previously in the Bible Reading Program, that this was a common oversight attributed to most of Judah's righteous kings, and is perhaps equally if not more due to a lack of wholeheartedness in obeying God on the part of the nation. He was devoted to God in his heart and his actions. Scholars have variously dated his reign to around 873-849 B.C.E. King Jehoshaphat led a mostly prosperous life. Why did Ahab hate Micaiah? However, because this was an aberration from Jehoshaphat's usual stance of faith and obedience, the LORD did not punish Jehoshaphat. When Jehoshaphat led the people out to meet the invaders, he ordered men to sing, praising God for his holiness. Ahab decides to disguise himself so that he will not be recognized, but tells Jehoshaphat to dress as a king. Through which remaining prophet did Ahab say they could inquire of the Lord. And the king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, "I will disguise myself and go into battle; but you put on your robes.". Ahab got King Jehoshaphat of Judah to ally himself with him in war against Ramoth-gilead then held by the Syrians. "Ahab son of Omri did more evil in the eyes of the Lord than any of those before him. " 3 But the angel of the Lord said to . Zavada, Jack. 3. Yet they clearly prophesied in the name of the LORD. King Ahab said that he wanted the truth but he couldnt handle the truth. To honor his ally's request, Ahab had Micaiah brought to the court. Jehoshaphat may have needed a lesson on how to make smart political alliances. The Hebrew that underlies the phrase rendered a spirit (came forward) reads literally, the (well-known) spirit, i.e., Satan the tempter (as in Job 1:6-12). He required these judges to be just, impartial, and take no bribes, for they "do not judge according to man but the Lord" (see 2 Chronicles 19:4-10). He allied with Ahab's son, Ahaziah, in a mercantile venture until God destroyed their fleet (20:35-37; 1 Kings 22:48, 49 ). God's people needed three days to carry off the plunder. As the LORD lives, whatever my God says, that I will speak: The assistant of King Ahab tried to persuade Micaiah to speak in agreement with the 400 other prophets. We can be certain that every eye was on Zedekiah when he used the horns of iron to powerfully illustrate the point. (NIV), 2 Chronicles 20:32-33He walked in the ways of his father Asa and did not stray from them; he did what was right in the eyes of the LORD. Ahab, the father of the daughter, attempts to draw king Jehoshaphat into a war that God does not approve of. He concluded with a foot disease instead of a bang on the throne. Click to enable/disable _gid - Google Analytics Cookie. This was a dramatic scene. Yet in chapter 18, we find that Jehoshaphat enters into a partnership with him. King Ahab of Israel asked King Jehoshaphat of Judah to help him in this dispute against Syria. We should not love the world. That brought further stability to his kingdom. Why did Ahab enter into a military alliance with Jehoshaphat? And the LORD said, Who will persuade Ahab king of Israel to go up, that he may fall at Ramoth Gilead? So one spoke in this manner, and another spoke in that manner. 46 views, 7 likes, 0 loves, 3 comments, 1 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Eubank Church of Christ: The Minor Prophets (22) Bible text from the Good News Translation (GNT) is not to be reproduced in copies or otherwise by any means except as permitted in writing by American Bible Society, 101 North Independence Mall East, Floor 8, Philadelphia, PA 19106-2155 (www.americanbible.org). It was an opportunity to walk away, but he did not take it. King Jehoshaphat instituted another round of reforms . Ahab had a very nonchalant attitude towards his sin and the sins of others. Jehoshaphat was 35 years old when he began his reign and was king for 25 years. If you refuse cookies we will remove all set cookies in our domain. Jehoshaphat made a bad alliance with King Ahab, one of the most wicked kings in Israel's history. ii. The Lord substantially blessed Jehoshaphat and Judah during Jehoshaphat's reign. They butchered great numbers of sheep, goats, and cattle for the feast. Then Ahab enticed Jehoshaphat to join forces with . If you do not want that we track your visit to our site you can disable tracking in your browser here: We also use different external services like Google Webfonts, Google Maps, and external Video providers. 2. In a long line of righteous and unrighteous kings that ruled in the northern and southern kingdoms, these men were both evil kings. To solidify devotion to God, Jehoshaphat sent prophets, priests, and Levites throughout the country to teach people God's laws. This site is a proud member of the Salem Web Network, a subsidiary of, Copyright 2023, Crosswalk.com. This show of friendship to Ahab was in reality hatred towards God (2 . Elijah Denounces Ahaziah. Not only that, but Ahab decides that he can get around all of this by dressing Jehoshaphat up in his robes and putting him at the front and disguising himself as a soldier. [1] One of the "good" kings in the Bible, he was a descendant of David, and his mother's name was Azubah . This was a city which Ben-hadad Finally, Jehoshaphat shows us that God can start new parts of his plan for our lives at any time. i. Believers and unbelievers have different values and commitments. In his disobedience, Jeroboam (the first king of the kingdom of the northern tribes) said, I will worship the LORD, but do it my way. Ahab said, I want to forget about the LORD completely and worship Baal., ii. King Ahab recognized the mocking tone of Micaiahs prophecy and knew it contradicted the message of the 400 prophets. Generally speaking, Jehoshaphat, king of Judah, walked in the way of God. He was 35 years old when he sat as king and reigned for 25 years until his death at age 60. After King Ahaziah's death (1:18), his brother Jehoram (called Joram in 8:25), another son of evil King Ahab, became king over Israel since Ahaziah himself had no son (1:17; 3:1). At this point in history, the nation of Israel had split into two separate countriesone called Israel containing ten tribes and one called Judah containing two trib es. We can assume, from the lack of gory details, that he ended his life in peace and passed away from natural causes. 2 Chronicles 18:1-3 "Now Jehoshaphat had great riches and honor; and he allied himself by marriage with Ahab." IT WAS THIS ALLIANCE That got Jehoshaphat into a battle that nearly got him . And then we have one of the most interesting stories in the Bible, which we cant get into in detail, but with regard to our focus . What may come as a surprise to readers is we run into Jehoshaphats name more than once in the Bible, and the instances dont always refer to the king of Judah.

Honor Council Drake And Josh, Articles W